Sunday 4 August 2013

[Aug 04] 3. One Of The Things I Am Proud Of

What a day! I (again) almost forgot to write this. I was up until 5AM this morning doing god knows what, a mixture of project stuff, Photoshop and French, then had a few hours sleep, woke up at 10AM, did the laundry, went out for a BBQ, got back and "chilled" out. It is now 10PM and I have only just realised I haven't done this yet! Well, I suppose now is a good time as ever. Exhausted, so this may not be as colourful or interesting as my last entries. Though I say that, I do have a tendency to ramble on. We'll see how it goes.

Today's topic is...
*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・*:゚・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・**・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・*:゚・*:.。. .。.:**・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・*:゚・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・**・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*
One Of The Things I Am Proud Of
*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・*:゚・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・**・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・*:゚・*:.。. .。.:**・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・*:゚・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・**・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*

You probably already know what is coming... Japanese! I am proud of my ability to somewhat formulate a sentence in an exotic far eastern language. I have studied it for roughly 7 years, though I'm sure I'm entering my 8th year, I don't know, but it is around that time. Knowing a second language these days is probably not that much of a feat, but as for me, someone who feels as if they have never really achieved anything or had a certain talent, I am proud that I have managed to be at least somewhat proficient in a foreign language. In school, I was never good at maths. I was pretty decent at English (some of you may be reading this and thinking, "Ha, good one!") and with science, I got by. I took language classes in school and to be honest, like most British kids, I took zero notice. 

Which is surprising because I have had such a huge interest in languages since I was about 11. I think I took my first French class at that age. Though the difference is though, studying languages in my own time at home was fun - studying in a class with a very grumpy French teacher who insisted we called her "madame" (I have learned from my French studies that it is common in French, but when you are 12 years old and are being told to do that... you find it ridiculous), was not fun. At all. I used to be well-behaved in class and quite quiet, but when with friends, I was a chatterbox. I was especially so in French class. I think it is because I wasn't too fond of the teacher. I have no idea why, but I would always get in trouble in her classes. She would constantly move me from my friends because of too much talking. I should have been talking in French... wonder if she still would have moved me.

Any way, yes, in a country like Britain where nobody can really speak a second language as nobody thinks they have any real reason to, which they may not, yet these are the same people who say, "I wish I knew Mandarin, China is really moving up in the world", whom to I feel like saying, "Well learn it then!", knowing a second language does set you apart from the crowd in probably all the wrong ways. Either way, I am still proud of it.

I realise this has become a cynical rant about French teachers and Britain, and is probably my way of saying I am proud I overcame all this, stuck to my guns and learned Japanese. But I am also proud because I am not someone who is known for being consistent. I have probably said this before but I am one of those people who will start something and never finish it. I think with a thing like Japanese, the only reason I have kept at it for so long is because there is no finish... I have a constant drive. I am constantly chasing a finish which doesn't exist. 

And for that, I am proud. I know that studying this language is an endless journey but that only drives me further to continue it and to get better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment